Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"We can do no great things, but small things with great love."


Warning! The following is a somewhat intense look into the complicated thoughts bouncing off the walls in my head and ostensibly making their way onto my blog ... (You've been warned.)

Missions, what's the purpose? God will fulfill His redemptive intentions with or without me, so why bother?

I do not claim to know everything. I don't even pretend to know a lot when it comes to my faith and my God. I am still learning which is why I continuously love seeking the Lord. Those moments where God is revealed have been the most surprising and impacting of my life. 
... "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." 

I find myself here in Africa in the middle of a call that I never intended to really be a part of truthfully. By choosing to live with a Ugandan family I presumably was also agreeing to be a part of the USP Missionary team for the semester. This means: preparing and giving messages in the local churches, attending classes designed for future missionaries, and participating on trips and community outreaches with my fellow missions peers. Needless to say, prayers would be GREATLY appreciated. 

I understand, and truly believe, that being called to missions is a privilege, not a chore. We all have specific gifts--whether you believe they are from God or not--that make each of us unique and ideal for certain activities and outreaches. For example, some may have a way with words and speaking in public settings; others may know how to really listen and relate. My gifts apparently extend beyond the classroom--or at least they do for now--which is something I had not initially thought. 

*God equips the called, not calls the equipped. I can do this.

How am I going to handle things when it's not perfect anymore--when I move out of the optimistic, "I'm in Africa" stage? I also do not mean to romanticize life here. Meaning, I'm just living a normal life in another part of the world (normal being relative to the ways of thinking in Uganda). There are challenges, similarities/differences, and joys. Miraculous things do not happen all the time as presumed of the missionary's life, but one thing has been certain so far: love is cross-cultural. The relationships that I have already made are so real. The love that my Ugandan family has for Christ translates into the love they have for us (my roommate and I) and it is is so humbling. 
... "I'm sorry for the time that I have wasted ... Oh me of little faith."

I heard a great analogy in class today--Following God is like following a GPS (ha, I know, stay with me) ... if you fall away from the path, He is willing and waiting to guide you again. In a previous blog I stated being worried about my intentions for going to Uganda in the first place, "Is this where I want to be, or is this where God wants me to be?" Well, I definitely got my answer.
  

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    Good reflections.
    It's definitely the "normal, ordinary" times that get us wondering. Remember, though, that Daniel lived a normal, faithful life for a decade and then was called in to interpret the writing on the wall. You never know what the normal time is leading up to, but I'm sure that you'll do well.
    BTW, I'll check if Berry Cool can do a Matoke-flavored yogurt in your honor.
    Grace and Peace.

    ReplyDelete