Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Muzungu Movements.

So, I have never done this kind of thing before--you know, displaying my thoughts online for all to see. But I have realized that this would be both the simplest way of explaining my experiences and making them available for everyone to read; so here I go: 

"Muzungu": A name that both defines my image and character here in Africa. I hear it when I am walking down the street, I hear it when I am at school, and sadly enough, I hear myself saying it inside my own head. Muzungu is the Lugandan word for 'white person', and I have titled by blog "Bye Muzungu!" not only because it is the phrase being called out to me most often here in Uganda, but simply because that it is where my life is right now--on the move and drastically changing. 

More blogging to come...I promise. :)


3 comments:

  1. Loo, What a great picture! You look like you are having fun and the kids are adorable. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Loo! Uncle Tom and I are so proud of you! WooHoo! How are studies? Praying for you often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hujambo! Afya! Vifijo! Habari gani? I mean, wicked! How are you? I can't wait to hear about everything when you get back! Just know that Kat and I are praying for you, Muzungu. Stay healthy, stay safe and love extravagantly! Oh, and here's a phrase that might help you out: "Tafadhali nataka bia baridi."

    ReplyDelete