Friday, March 27, 2009

Back to School


It is so hard to narrow down what to write about in these blogs. . . Should I talk about my host-family? adventures? school? God? I'll just start writing and see where it takes me.

I have gotten to the point where I truly do feel at home in Mukono. Pieces of my heart are daily scattered throughout places I visit and with the people I meet. I know the community, I know the customs, and I am beginning to understand and long for what life could be like for me here if I stayed -- which is somewhat disheartening seeing as I technically only have a month left to explore and delight in this discovery. For instance, I was given the opportunity to work at the local primary school teaching P3 (roughly the grade 3 equivalent) every Wednesday. From my first steps into the teachers lounge to my first lines on the chalk board I have felt welcome and at peace there. The classroom is this small hole in the wall with roughly ninety bodies crammed inside everyday -- four rows of nine, with two to three students per desk. Each student is SO excited to be there and it is so humbling to be a part of that... no matter how small that may be. :) 

(The other teachers have mentioned an open position on their staff as well as a position for a basketball coach to me... ah! It has been one of the hardest temptations in my life to have to say no to.) 




2 comments:

  1. Loo, you look so comfortable and perfect in the classroom. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you would teach there! That's perfect for you BB!

    I'm ready for more blogs =)

    Love you -- Molls

    ReplyDelete